Get Real: Granola Bars

Friday

 
Recipes. Ugh. Call it a short attention span that only kicks in when I cross the threshold of the kitchen. I don't know. What I do know, is that I need it simple. I need a 10 minute or less prep time and as few ingredients as possible or I break into a cold sweat. It's not pretty.
 
Regardless of my recipe aversion, duty calls, and today it called from the granola bar isle.
Granola bars. The bane of my existence as a mom. My kids love them and I hate buying them. It's pure torture for me to buy 6 tiny little bars of oatmeal with ingredients that sound like something from a chem lab. Clearly I was being presented with a challenge. 
 
So, getting on with it. Granola bar recipes are pretty easy, which for me, means no cold sweat. Here's what I came up with.
 
Preheat the oven to 325 F.
Mix the dry:
4 cups old fashioned oats
1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup Rice Crispies (my go-to ingredient)
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 cup mini chocolate chips
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
 
Mix the wet:
1/2 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup honey
 
Combine the two. Spread out this lump of goods onto a 13 x 9 parchment lined baking sheet and cook for approximately 35 minutes. Let it cool and then cut them up as you please!
 
 
I've got the seal of approval from all my little people and even the hubs (who in the past sarcastically referred to granola bars as gerbil food). Not cool, hon. Not cool.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

by mlekoshi