Sea glass en masse

Thursday




Today one of my kiddos was home from school and overheard me talking about sea glass, so naturally she asked me "what is sea glass?". 

In case you get this question, it is simply glass that has tumbled around in the water for many, many years. According to wikipedia, it can take 20-30 years and sometimes as much as 50 years to acquire its characteristic texture and shape. When the glass appears frosty, it is from being in saltwater, conversely if it is shiny, it is from fresh water. 

These pieces of sea glass are from the beach in Friday Harbor, Washington. Oh how I love the colors!
Next time I'm at the beach I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for more!

Fun tip:

There's even a beach called Glass Beach in Fort Bragg, California


No comments:

Post a Comment

by mlekoshi